Harry C. Mathias, Jr.
Superintendent of Schools
570-784-2850 ext. 4047
Mr. Mathias holds a Bachelors (’84) and Masters (’96) degrees from Bucknell University. He was an elementary education major with teaching certificates in elementary education and secondary mathematics. While an undergraduate at Bucknell, he made the Dean’s List three times and played catcher on the baseball team being named Honorable Mention Academic All-American in 1983.
He joined Central Columbia High School as a mathematics and computer teacher in 1984 and held that position until 1994, when he was appointed Curriculum Coordinator.
As curriculum coordinator from 1994-2000, he played a key role in implementing Central's Strategic Plan and implementing the Balanced Literacy approach to literacy instruction.
Mr. Mathias served as the head football coach from 1990-1994 with a record of 48-15-1 winning the District IV Championship in 1992, 1993 and 1994 and the Central Susquehanna Conference Championship in 1990, 1991 and 1993. He was the CSC Coach of the Year in 1990, 1991, 1993 and 1994 and the Reading Eagle Anthracite Region Coach of the Year in 1992. The football program made their only appearance in the PIAA playoffs in 1994. He also served as an assistant football coach from 1984-1989 and 1998-1999. Mr. Mathias served as an assistant offensive coach at Bloomsburg University from 1995-97 during which the Huskies’ record was 27-5-1 with three PSAC Eastern Division Championships.
In addition, he was assistant baseball coach at Central Columbia from 1985-1994 during which time the Bluejays won the PIAA State Championship in 1991; District IV Championships in 1985, 1991, 1992 and 1993 and seven league championships.
Since being hired as Superintendent of Schools on July 1, 2000, Mr. Mathias has overseen:
- A complete renovation of the middle school program and building
- A complete renovation of the high school program and building
- Has been instrumental in the development of the high school Career Pathway Model
- Has implemented the Digital Conversion initiative with teacher training and student iPads for all students in grades four through 12.
- Lead a $1.4 million private fund-raising effort through the Central Columbia Educational Foundation to install an all-weather track, turf field, and lights on the baseball field.
- The implementation of all-day Kindergarten
Mr. Mathias does or has served:
- On the United Way of Columbia County Board;
- As United Way Campaign Chair
- On the Columbia-Montour Chamber of Commerce Board
- Chair of the Foundation of the Columbia-Montour Chamber of Commerce
- As Superintendent of Record at the Columbia-Montour AVTS
- On the Central PA Workforce Investment Board
- As Chair of the PA Heartland Athletic Conference Superintendent Oversite Committee
- On the Board of Governors of the PA Association of School Administrators
- On the Columbia Alliance for Economic Development Board
- On the Orangeville Baseball Association Board
Mr. Mathias has been selected to the Warrior Run School District Hall of Fame in 2006 and to the Central Columbia Athletic Hall of Fame in 2013.
Mr. Mathias lives in Orange Township with his wife Bridget and son Nathaniel.
Thomas Friedman - "That Used To Be Us"
The Coummunity Wellness and Athletic Center News Story